About The Horse & Groom
The H and G sits at The Cross - the crossroads at the top end of Wivenhoe.
This was the junction where the roads between Colchester, Brightlingsea and Wivenhoe converged. A prominent position for a public house.
The earliest historical records for the Horse and Groom show that the pub was originally known as the King's Arms. It first started trading in 1772.